VP of Marketing
Marketing - Toronto
Properly is looking for a VP of Marketing who will be central to the development of our marketing strategy and brand. Properly is like no other company in Canada, and you’ll play a lead role in communicating our unique story and offering to the market. Your job will be to lead the development and cultivation of our brand, build a scalable lead generation engine, and refine the marketing and customer re-engagement funnels. Success will be measured based on the effectiveness that your marketing and communications strategy plays in increasing lead volume while decreasing acquisition costs, increasing brand awareness and increasing positive brand association. This role is right for you if you pair an experimental mindset with deep empathy for customers. In this role you will be a member of the leadership team at Properly and report directly to the CEO.
At Properly, we are on a mission to empower Canadians on their journey of homeownership. We envision a future where real estate transactions involve dramatically less stress and surprising simplicity, and where a trusted technology partner helps Canadians navigate the entire experience of buying, selling and owning a home. Check out our CEO’s note on the culture we are trying to craft at Properly.
- Manage our entire marketing function, including:
- Help homebuyers and sellers understand and respond to our services through positioning, marketing tone and creative direction.
- Achieve excellence and channel optimization by tracking and measuring performance across all channels and work to increase conversion, improve lead quality and reduce acquisition cost.
- Make an impact on our identity and voice as you work with senior leaders and the wider team to take the Properly brand to its next stage.
- Plan and manage (either directly, with your team, or with external agencies) paid and organic campaigns on both online and offline channels including social, search, display, direct mail, radio, PR, TV, etc.
- Build and develop a high performing team:
- Today our marketing team has one team member managing direct response and another managing email marketing, but we expect that you will build, manage, and develop a larger team around you over the coming months.
- Recommend, hire and manage external agencies and consultants to drive results.
Required skills and characteristics:
- You live and breathe marketing, are an empathetic listener and understand that effective marketing requires a deep understanding of our customers.
- You are highly analytical, experiment-driven, and rigorously measure campaigns to gain insight and make improvements in conversion throughout the funnel.
- You have experience scaling a brand using multiple channels (e.g. Facebook, Google, direct mail, radio, TV, PR, etc.), and have helped create and lead media relations strategies either internally or with an agency.
- You have experience building a brand architecture from scratch (brand positioning, visual ID, communication guidelines etc.).
- You operate with a sense of urgency and are willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to help the company succeed. This role will be a combination of strategy, leadership and execution.
- You have experience working cross-functionally with analytics and product teams.
- You have experience working at a high growth startup.
At Properly, you’ll have:
- Competitive cash and equity compensation
- Unlimited vacation days and a flexible workday; we care about outcomes over schedule
- Lots of team events and social activities
- Top of market maternal and paternal leave
- Excellent healthcare benefits
- Personal development budget; we support our team members' growth
- Beautiful open concept office steps from St Andrew subway station with snacks and coffee [but we are remote-first during the pandemic]
Properly is headquartered in Toronto (with additional offices in Calgary and Ottawa, and soon to have offices across several other Canadian cities). We have a foundation of experienced operators on our team (Uber, Wealthsimple, Wave, Ritual, Mozilla, McKinsey, Shopify, Borrowell, Blackberry, etc.) and have raised funding from venture investors and angels, including FJ Labs, Prudence, Golden Ventures, iNovia Capital, AlleyCorp (Kevin Ryan) and others. We are an equal opportunity employer and celebrate diverse experiences and perspectives because they make our team more successful.