Product Management - Toronto
Properly is looking for a strategic and customer obsessed VP of Product to drive our product strategy and to build and lead our product team. We are working to support Canadians across their entire home buying and selling journey - from search to sale - and seek to build a relationship with them long before they actually move. Today, our products support Canadians as they dream about their next home (e.g. home search), plan for how to manage the purchase and sale (e.g. home valuation), and execute on the transaction (e.g. Sale Assurance). Over time, we’ll transform buying and selling into a digital experience. Reporting directly to the CEO, you will be a member of our senior leadership team and lead the development and execution of a product strategy that helps us realize this vision. You will be responsible for building and managing our product and design teams. This role is right for you if you are a systems thinker, an experienced leader, customer obsessed, willing to make bold bets, love to collaborate with stakeholders across diverse disciplines, and have the drive to help us build a category-defining company.
At Properly, we are on a mission to make real estate customer-centric. We envision a future in which real estate transactions involve dramatically less friction and surprising simplicity and where Properly is the first choice of all Canadians throughout the entire experience of buying, selling and owning a home. Check out our CEO’s note (https://bit.ly/Properlynorms) on the culture we are trying to craft at Properly. Properly is headquartered in Toronto. We have a foundation of experienced operators on our team (Uber, Wealthsimple, Bench, Top Hat, Wave, Shopify, Ritual, Blackberry, Bain, etc.).
We have raised $160 million in funding from investors like Bain Capital Ventures, FJ Labs, Prudence, Golden Ventures, AlleyCorp (Kevin Ryan), Intact Ventures, Silicon Valley Bank and many prominent angel investors including Mike Katchen (co-founder and CEO of Wealthsimple), Spencer Rascoff (co-founder and former CEO of Zillow), and Eric Wu (co-founder and CEO of Opendoor).
We are a company that values and celebrates diverse experiences and perspectives because they make our team more successful.
What you will do:
- As a member of the senior leadership team, shape overall company strategy, and develop, communicate, and execute a holistic product and service strategy
- Represent the voice of the customer within Properly and develop effective feedback loops to ensure that our product roadmap is inspired by customer insights and our deep understanding of their needs
- Build, coach, and manage our product and design teams, including product managers, designers, and user researchers
- Drive alignment with product, design, and engineering (as well as other relevant stakeholders like marketing) on product strategy, priorities, and roadmap. Ensure that our product development organization is delivering value to our customers while helping us achieve critical business objectives
- Work to continuously improve the way we discover and deliver world-class software products to Canadians
What we're looking for:
- You have experience building and leading a high-velocity and user-centric product organization, a passion for the craft of product, and 8+ years of product experience (preferably B2C)
- You’ve helped a product achieve real scale
- You bring fierce customer advocacy and empathy, balanced with a deep understanding of the key drivers of value within our business
- You’re comfortable setting strategic direction, making difficult decisions and pushing us to be bold vs. just copying competitors and incrementally improving what we’ve already built
- You have a coaching habit, and a proven track record of elevating the careers of your team members and managing a product team with high retention
- You have strong developer empathy - your engineering counterparts have enjoyed working with you as much as your product and design counterparts
- You’re an excellent communicator that can convey complex or technical ideas succinctly and clearly
- You have a highly experimental mindset and seek out data to inform and test your hypotheses
At Properly, you'll have:
- Competitive cash and equity compensation
- Unlimited vacation days and a flexible work day; we care about outcomes over schedule
- Team events and social activities
- Top of market maternal and paternal leave
- Attractive healthcare benefits for you and your family starting day one
- Personal development budget; we support our team members' growth
- WFH stipend; in addition to the essentials including monitor, laptop, accessories
- Employee discount on Properly’s services