Marketing and Growth - Toronto
We are looking for an experienced Senior Economist to join the Properly team to play a lead role in analyzing market data, conducting research and sharing key findings and insights with a wide variety of internal and external audiences. As a Senior Economist, you will be constantly collaborating with the operations, strategy, sales and marketing team to provide key insights on the market. You’ll be joining one of the fastest growing real estate companies in Canada, providing valuable insights to support our expansion across the country.
The ideal candidate will have a deep interest in thinking critically and creatively about data with an ability to apply a macro and micro lens on industry trends. You’ll play a pivotal role at Properly by keeping on top of relevant housing data, uncovering unique insights and developing perspectives on the industry and how consumers will be impacted. Your findings and analysis will play an important role in progressing Properly’s mission to make real estate consumer centric.
In this role, you will be a part of the marketing team and will report to the VP of Marketing.
At Properly, we are on a mission to make real estate customer-centric. We envision a future in which real estate transactions involve dramatically less friction and surprising simplicity and where Properly is the first choice of all Canadians throughout the entire experience of buying, selling and owning a home. Check out our CEO’s note (https://bit.ly/Properlynorms) on the culture we are trying to craft at Properly. Properly is headquartered in Toronto. We have a foundation of experienced operators on our team (Uber, Wealthsimple, Bench, Tophat, Wave, Shopify, Ritual, Blackberry, Bain).
We have raised $160 million in funding from investors like Bain Capital Ventures, Intact Ventures, FJ Labs, Prudence, Golden Ventures, AlleyCorp (Kevin Ryan), Silicon Valley Bank and many prominent angel investors including Mike Katchen (co-founder and CEO of Wealthsimple), Spencer Rascoff (co-founder and former CEO of Zillow), and Eric Wu (co-founder and CEO of Opendoor).
We are a company that values and celebrates diverse experiences and perspectives because they make our team more successful.
What you will do:
- Utilize Properly’s proprietary tools and datasets to embark on special research projects and unlock new insights into the Canadian housing market
- Assess and analyze publicly available housing data and provide commentary on the impact to Canadians
- Leverage internal and external data to develop perspectives and predictions on future industry trends to establish Properly as a go-to thought partner for media and real estate commentators
- Collaborate with external partners on new initiatives and research projects to tackle industry issues
- Work closely with the Properly communications team to identify storytelling opportunities, develop regular blog posts and whitepapers on the state of the market and contribute to communication strategies
- Develop consumer-centric visualizations (charts, infographics) to support research insights, working with the graphic design team
- Supported by the communications team, build relationships with key journalists and be a public spokesperson for Properly amongst media and industry influencers
- Identify potential sources of risk and indicators of market volatility on an ongoing basis
What we are looking for:
- Masters of Economics Degree with 5+ years of industry experience
- Proficient in SQL and statistical packages such as R
- Solid training in econometrics, multivariate statistics, and economic theory
- An ability to take complex data and synthesize it into clear insights and takeaways
- Strong communication skills and an ability to tailor messages to a variety of audiences
- Experience working with and collaborating with multiple teams and business functions
- An interest in conceptualizing data in new and creative ways
- Experience with media interviews and public speaking is considered an asset
At Properly, you'll have:
- Competitive cash and equity compensation
- Unlimited vacation days and a flexible work day; we care about outcomes over schedule
- Team events and social activities
- Top of market maternal and paternal leave
- Attractive healthcare benefits for you and your family starting day one
- Personal development budget; we support our team members' growth
- WFH stipend; in addition to the essentials including monitor, laptop, accessories
- Employee discount on Properly’s services