Director of Experience Design
Product - Toronto or Remote
Properly is looking for a Director to lead our Experience Design team focused on building experiences for our customers, partners and their teams. At Properly, Experience Design is not a siloed function but a core ingredient that touches every part of the brand, experience, and company. The Experience Design team sits at the juncture of where atoms meet pixels, designing a cross-platform experience (Web, iOS) that seamlessly weaves together with the offline experience of buying, selling and moving into a home.
As the head of the Experience Design team, you will create the long term design strategy working with product management, marketing, engineering, operations, sales and analytics to continuously grow the product and offering. You will design digital and IRL (in real life) experiences that empowers home buyers and sellers to achieve the privacy, security, flexibility, financial stability, and pride that comes with home ownership.
At Properly, we are on a mission to make real estate customer-centric. We envision a future in which real estate transactions involve dramatically less friction and surprising simplicity and where Properly is the first choice of all Canadians throughout the entire experience of buying, selling and owning a home. Check out our CEO’s note (https://bit.ly/Properlynorms) on the culture we are trying to craft at Properly. Properly is headquartered in Toronto. We have a foundation of experienced operators on our team (Uber, Wealthsimple, Bench, Tophat, Wave, Shopify, Zillow, Blackberry, Bain).
We have raised $192 million in funding from investors like Bain Capital Ventures, Intact Ventures, FJ Labs, Prudence, Golden Ventures, AlleyCorp (Kevin Ryan), Parker89, Max Ventures, Interplay, Industry Ventures, Silicon Valley Bank and many prominent angel investors including Mike Katchen (co-founder and CEO of Wealthsimple), Spencer Rascoff (co-founder and former CEO of Zillow), and Eric Wu (co-founder and CEO of Opendoor).
Recently, Drew & Jonathan Scott, as seen on the Property Brothers, have also joined Properly as both partners and investors. (https://bit.ly/TheScottBrothers)
What You Will Do:
- Manage the experience design team that creates and shapes the information architecture, user experience, interaction, and design systems for all Properly products and services
- Inspire, empower, and guide the experience design team to create innovative designs and drive the end-to-end customer experiences by working with Product, Operations and Engineering partners
- Elevate the craft of design and be the advocate for our customers through the work produced by the experience design team
- Establish trust and build confidence with cross-functional partners and executive leadership that designs are bar raising with rigorous validation from customer inputs
- Identify, define, and share best practices within the organization and the broader design community to unify design processes, foster innovation and improve efficiency throughout the product development lifecycle
- Work closely with leadership to define the Properly experience and make it a reality in our technical and non-technical products & services
- Develop an ever evolving toolkit for the team comprising methods, techniques, principles, the environment and processes the team needs to function most effectively and efficiently across UX/UI and Service Design
Who You Are:
We are looking for a thought leader who can capture the overall vision and direction of the Properly story and experience. You should be a pioneer who is not afraid to experiment, invent, and occasionally fail. You should be energized by building from the ground up, designing moments and experiences that drive business value and make customers smile.
- Demonstrated results experience in offline and online interaction design (information architecture, design systems, mobile, web, and other media), with an emphasis on conceptual, visual, offline/online interaction design and strategic thinking
- A portfolio of work demonstrating experience creating great user-centered design solutions across technology and services, including offline experiences (sales process, customer service experience and software)
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills including the ability to communicate concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and all levels of an organization (from designers to senior executive management)
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing large, strategic & challenging business, technology and customers’ needs into actionable plans with demonstrated impact
- Understand the array of technical constraints, user goals and business requirements that shape a product
- Fluency in best practices for multi-platform information architecture and design, as well as strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques
- Demonstrate ability to work confidently with Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, Customer Service and Sales
- Be willing to roll up the sleeves to meet business and product deliverables
- Expert skill level with standard design tools such as Photoshop, Sketch, Figma, In Design
If some of the above doesn’t line up perfectly with your experiences, however this role really speaks to you and you feel like you strongly demonstrate our cultural norms, we want to hear from you and encourage you to apply!
At Properly, you'll have:
- Competitive cash and equity compensation
- Unlimited vacation days and a flexible work day; we care about outcomes over schedule
- Team events and social activities
- Top of market maternal and paternal leave
- Attractive healthcare benefits for you and your family starting day one
- $1000 Personal development budget; we support our team members' growth
- $850 WFH stipend to help you create a comfortable home-office environment
- Employee discount on Properly’s services
Properly respectfully acknowledges that our Toronto and Vancouver offices are located on the traditional land of many First Nations.
Our Toronto office is located on the traditional land of the Haudenosaunee, the Anishnabeg, the Chippewa, and the Wendat peoples, and the Treaty Lands and Territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit Nation.
Our Vancouver office is located on the traditional, unceded territory of the Musqueam, the Squamish, and the Tsleil-Waututh Nations.
If we can offer any accommodations to help you present your best self, please reach out to email@example.com or inquire about accommodations if you're invited to an interview.
We are a company that values and celebrates diverse experiences and perspectives because they make our team more successful. We're committed to creating an inclusive environment where everybody can thrive and do their best work. We strongly encourage applicants of any race, gender, age, religion, sexual orientation or any other status. All applications will be considered based on qualifications.